Why cake recipes? Because the best cake recipes which work every time are very hard to source, as usually the are family secrets/heirlooms!
This is a delicious cake that freezes extremely well, serve with a good dollop of double cream and a light dust of icing sugar.
Of course this cake is best eaten of day of baking and will keep in an airtight container for 3- 4 days.
Ingredients – cake
- 250GMS OF BUTTER
- 3 SMALL EGGS
- 300GM OF CASTOR SUGAR
- 300GM OF SELF RAISING FLOUR
- 200GM OF YOGHURT
- 3 SMALL ORANGES (PEELED AND FINELY CHOPPED)
- 150GM OF CHOPPED ALMONDS
Ingredients – Icing
- 125GM OF DESICCATED COCONUT
- 125GM OF MELTED BUTTER
- 150GM OF BROWN SUGAR
- 1/2 TEASPOON OF VANILLA ESSENCE
- 1 TABLESPOON OF CREAM
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 180C
- BUTTER AND LINE A 28CM SPRING-FORM CAKE TIN CAKE TIN
- CREAM BUTTER AND SUGAR.
- ADD EGGS AND BEAT WELL UNTIL LIGHT AND FLUFFY
- FOLD IN THE REST OF THE INGREDIENTS AND THEN SPOON INTO CAKE TIN.SMOOTH THE TOP OF THE MIXTURE.
- BAKE AT 180C FOR APPROXIMATELY 50-60 MINUTES, TILL SKEWER COMES OUT CLEAN
- ALLOW TO COOL IN CAKE TIN BEFORE REMOVING TO CAKE PLATE.
- TO MAKE THE ICING, MIX ALL THE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER, SPREAD OVER THE TOP OF YOUR COLD CAKE AND GRILL ON A LOW SETTING UNTIL THE ICING HAS GONE LIGHT BROWN IN COLOR.