With Summer here and now, thought i would share my favorite summer dessert while the raspberries and Blueberries are in season, cheap and plentiful.
Served with lashings of double thick cream and or ice cream and some additional fresh berries.
Will keep at room temperature for 3 days but best eaten fresh!
Ingredients – Tart base
- 1 Egg
- 260 grams Plain Flour
- 100 grams Castor Sugar
- 140 grams Chopped Butter
Ingredients – Topping
- 150 grams Raspberries
- 150 grams Blueberries
- 30 grams Caster Sugar
- Extra berries for serving
Ingredients – Filling
- 180 grams Chopped Butter
- 180 grams Caster Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 65 grams Plain Flour
- 190 grams Almond Meal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Butter and line a 26cm flan tin with a removable base.
- To make your pastry base, combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl and using your fingertips, rub the butter into the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Lightly beat your egg and mix it in to form a firm dough.
- Wrap your dough in glad-wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, on a flour dusted surface , roll out your pastry to line your flan tin,
- Using a fork , prick the base of the tart.Cover the surface of the flan with greaseproof paper and using either rice or dried beans, bake blind at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Remove the weight of the rice/beans and continue for an additional ten minutes or until it is lightly colored. Allow to cool.
- To make the filling, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and add the eggs one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour, almond meal, and baking powder until combined.
- Spread evenly over the tart base. Combine the mixed berries and extra sugar, and spoon the berry mixture over the almond filling.
- Bake at 180C for 55 minutes or until it is almost firm to touch.Allow to cool completely before removing from flan.
Would like a Chef to make this for you?
If you would like one of our expert Chef's to help you create this and any other lovely dishes for your next function, send us a note using the contact form below with your details and requirements and we'll be happy to get back to you.