This is the perfect dessert to make for your next dinner party. It's easy to make, can be made up to three days ahead of time, looks great on the plate and tastes absolutely decadent.
These can be made up to three days ahead of time. Store filled ramekins in the fridge and bring to room temperature before baking.
Serves: 4 (3/4 cup ramekins)
Ingredients – Chocolate Caramel
- 130gms semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup whipping cream, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, but into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon good quality sea salt
Ingredients – Lava Cake
- Butter and cocoa powder, for dusting ramekins
- ½ cup butter
- 280 gms semi-sweet or unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs, large
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup flour
½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons black cocoa powder (optional)
- Maldon sea salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Method – Chocolate Caramel
- Melt chocolate in a double broiler or metal bowl over a pot of simmering water
- Add sugar and water to a large pot (make sure it is large, it will bubble up lots)
- Heat mixture over medium high heat until it is dark amber in color and reaches 350 degrees. Remove from heat.
- All at once add the whipping cream. Be very careful as it will steam and bubble ferociously.
- Whisk the mixture until the bubbling stops and the mixture is .smooth. Add the chocolate and whisk till combined and stir in the butter
Method – Lava Cake
- Liberally brush butter to thoroughly coat 4 ramekins. Dusk each with cocoa powder and tap upside down to remove access. Set aside
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a double broiler or a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together in a large bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, powdered sugar, salt and optional black cocoa powder.
- When chocolate has melted (allow it to cool for several minutes if it is hot) add it to the eggs and stir well. Then add the whisked flour mixture to the egg and chocolate and mix till smooth.
- Fill each ramekin half way. Then, place a a small tablespoon of caramel on top and sprinkle with salt. Cover with cake batter until ½ inch from the top of the ramekin.
- Preheat oven to 200 C degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and run a knife along the edges of the cake to loosen. Hold a plate over the top of each ramekin. Using oven mitts, turn the plate and ramekin over together so that the ramekin is inverted on the plate. Carefully remove the ramekin. Repeat with remaining ramekins and dust with icing sugar.
Would like a Chef to make this for you?
If you would like one of our expert Chef's to help you create this and any other lovely dishes for your next function, send us a note using the contact form below with your details and requirements and we'll be happy to get back to you.