Our cake recipe this month is very unusual as it rare that a cake has a cup of vegetable oil in the recipe.
Fantastic with the hot butterscotch sauce as well as good quality ice-cream and cream. Best eaten on day of baking and will keep for 3-4 days in an air tight container!
Ingredients – Cake
- 3 PACKHAM PEARS, (PEELED, CORED AND CUT INTO 2 CM PIECES)
- 250 ML OF GOOD QUALITY VEGETABLE OIL
- 2 EGGS
- 350GM OF CASTOR SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON OF VANILLA ESSENCE
- 1 TEASPOON OF BICARBONATE OF SODA
- 2 TEASPOONS OF CINNAMON
- PINCH OF NUTMEG
- PINCH OF SALT
- 300GM OF PLAIN FLOUR
Method – Cake
- PREPARE A 26CM SPRING-FORM CAKE TIN BUT BUTTERING AND LINING WITH BAKING PAPER.PREHEAT OVEN TO 180C.
- BEAT EGGS AND OIL TILL LIGHT AND FLUFFY, ADD SUGAR, VANILLA, SODA AND 1 TABLESPOON OF WATER AND CONTINUE BEATING UNTIL PALE.
- SIFT TOGETHER FLOUR, CINNAMON, NUTMEG AND SALT AND THEN ADD TO EGG MIXTURE.BEAT UNTIL SMOOTH.
- GENTLY FOLD IN PEAR AND POUR INTO YOUR CAKE TIN.
- BAKE AT 180C FOR ABOUT 75 MINUTES OR UNTIL YOUR TEST SKEWER COMES OUT CLEAN.
- ALLOW CAKE TO COOL IN CAKE TIN BEFORE TURNING OUT.
Ingredients – Butterscotch
- 500GMS OF SUGAR
- 200ML OF WATER
- 200ML OF THICKENED CREAM
- 2 TEASPOONS OF PORT (OPTIONAL)
Method – Butterscotch
- COMBINE THE SUGAR AND WATER IN A SAUCEPAN AND STIR GENTLY UNTIL SUGAR DISSOLVES, AND THEN BRING TO THE BOIL AND WITHOUT STIRRING ALLOW IT TO CARAMELIZE.
- PUT POT IN SINK AND ADD CREAM AND PORT VERY CAREFULLY AND THIS MIXTURE IS EXTREMELY HOT.